Thursday, July 26, 2012

How to Create a Secretly Disguised Folder Without Extra Software


image

Almost anyone knows how to make a “hidden” folder in Windows, most people also know how to make Explorer show hidden folders. Instead, if your folder looked like an innocent shortcut no one would know you have data in there.

Using Command Prompt to Disguise a Folder

In this example I have an ordinary folder on the root of my drive called How-To-Geek.
To disguise it, I need to open a command prompt and navigate to the directory where its resides, since it is on the root of my drive I can use:
CD C:\
Now all I need to do is rename it and include the CLSID for Computer:
ren How-To-Geek How-To-Geek.{20d04fe0-3aea-1069-a2d8-08002b30309d}
Now if I go back to my folder it looks like a link to Computer, and if I click on it, it even opens Computer. No one can get inside this folder now without knowing the CLSID you used to hide it.

Using Command Prompt to Reveal Your Folder

You will need to navigate to the directory where the disguised folder resides.
CD C:\
Then all you need to do to unhide a folder is rename the folder back to what it was before:
ren How-To-Geek.{20d04fe0-3aea-1069-a2d8-08002b30309d} How-To-Geek
If you go look at your folder now you will see it’s back to normal.

Using Batch Files

If you want to go even one step further you can create batch files. The following one hides my folder.
Then to unhide it i use the following batch file.
All that you would need to do now is run one of the batch files.
You should also take note that although this is a geeky way of hiding your data nothing is stopping the person from deleting the folder which would delete everything you have inside as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment